Wednesday 21 December 2011

When life hands you lemons (and limes).....

It started off as a simple twitter 'what to do with limes that appear to be breeding'. 

I'd done it again, a mountain of lemons and limes that I keep adding to as you should always have a lemon in, you need it for so many good dishes. I apply the same rule to limes. Incidentally I don't know what all these great dishes are as I clearly don't use lemons all that often and as for limes? Well, yes. 

There were a number of suggestions and while I leaned toward a good mojito I realised I was still two presents down in the gift giving front. Curd? Yes. 

Well you'll have to forgive the naff instagram pic, I just couldn't wait to share this (especially if you too are pushing it in terms of time this year). I'm sharing a recipe I made up after reading 16 different food blogs. I might have got distracted.


Lemon and Lime Curd (makes a healthy 2 medium jar amount)
You will need
2/3rd cup lemon and lime freshly squeezed juice
1/2 cup caster sugar
3/4 stick of unsalted butter cubed and softened 
3 large eggs + 1 yolk beaten

1. Bring a pan of water to the boil and place a bowl over the top so it is not touching the water. Pour in the juice and caster sugar.
2. Once the sugar is dissolved, whisk in (slowly) the egg and keep this moving in the bowl for about 5-6 mins
3. Gradually add the cubes of butter, one at a time, letting it dissolve into the mixture.
4. Pour into ready waiting jars and don't steal some for you toast. It will thicken more as it cools.

1 comment:

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

Oh I love-love-love this stuff - THANK YOU for the recipe.
When the DH & I were in London last summer we got some jars to bring home, but now I can make it myself!